Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Surgery


We were surprised to find out on our first visit with the surgeon that the surgery to repair Troy's mouth would begin when he was only 3months old.  By the time he was 6 months old he was a veteran of two surgeries.  The surgery to close his lip happened on August 28, 1995.  This is what I wrote:
"Today I am sitting in the hospital watching you sleep.  Much has happened in the last 3 1/2 months.  It has been so much fun watching you grow up.  You started out a little slow, not gaining much weight but, little by little, I learned some things that helped me feed you better and you began to gain weight.  Now you weigh 11 lbs. which is still small for your age but at least you keep gaining.
This is the day that you had your first surgery.  We couldn't feed you after 3:30 a.m. So I got you up before that and stuffed you.  We got to the hospital at 5:30 and by then you were awake and hungry.  You cried and cried until you finally fell asleep just before the surgery.  I felt so bad for you.  Dad and I hung out in the waiting room until your surgery was over.  Then, finally, at 11:30 they took you to your room.
When you woke up a little later you cried and cried.  I tried to feed you a little but it hurt to swallow , so you cried some more.  The nurse gave you some pain medication and that made you feel much better.  Still when I look in your sad little eyes it makes me cry.  You look as if you're saying, " Why did you let them hurt me?"
August 31,1995
You were much happier the next time you woke up in the hospital and you ate 2 bottles!  I was so glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment